If you have a recently constructed an asphalt driveway, road or parking lot, you may be thinking about which sealing option is best for you. Often, people are unable to decide between slurry seal vs seal coat as both have their pros and cons and it can be quite difficult to pick one of them. Although these terms are sometimes used interchangeably and both are meant to protect and improve the lifespan of your driveway, it is important to understand the differences before choosing one. Selecting the right kind of sealant for your property can help you to not only optimize the safety of your driveway but also reducing overall maintenance costs. Our paving expert from West York Paving has attempted to decode the answer for you.
A seal coat is an emulsion which contains liquid asphalt, mineral fillers and many other anti-oxidation additives. Here are some advantages of seal coat:
- Helps to protect against moisture and UV damages
- Helps to reduce ravelling
- Enables a smoother finish and helps to even out rough areas
- Lasts for around five years
- Perfectly suited for areas with high parking volumes including parking lots and driveways
- Quite a cost-effective as can be easily sprayed or applied using a squeegee
- Cures within two to four hours although depends on mix and application
- Helps to restore the original black colour to asphalt thus enhancing the overall appearance
- It is recommended to use regular seal coat applications for asphalt paved surfaces and micro surfacing
Slurry seal is a high-performance, thick, cold mix paving treatment which comprises of water, aggregates, asphalt emulsion, and additives. Here are some advantages of slurry seal:
- Provides an additional wear surface for your driveway or road
- It is characteristic of a rough surface
- Extremely suitable for heavy traffic areas and even airport tarmacs
- Typically lasts for up to ten years
- Needs at least eight to ten hours for curing but can vary depending on application and mix
- Usually expensive since it needs a specialized self-mixing piece of equipment and applicator
It is important to identify the most important differences between the two types of sealants so that you can choose the best option for yourself.
If you are still confused about what to choose, West York Paving can help. West York Paving is a full-service commercial paving company, known to provide the best quality commercial paving services all around Etobicoke, Oakville, GTA and Mississauga. Our professional estimators can help you to decide whether a slurry coat or seal coating is the best option for you, depending on the condition of your asphalt services. They are known to use the best quality materials and the latest techniques for every project and ensure timely delivery and top quality workmanship.